Stretching is often overlooked as an important part of fitness and overall health. It provides a variety of health benefits and is fairly simple to incorporate into your lifestyle. There are stretches that just about anyone can do, no matter your fitness level.
Listed below are 5 benefits of stretching:
- Enhances exercise performance by making your muscles better prepared to successfully complete a workout or sporting event.
- Improves flexibility, which makes you better able to do daily activities and keeps you mobile as you age.
- Promotes relaxation by reducing tension in muscles where you hold on to stress. Stretching often incorporates deep breathing, which many people find to be calming.
- Helps with posture. Stretching on a regular basis can improve your alignment and reduce muscle imbalances known to lead to poor posture.
- Reduces pain in muscles by lessening tightness and increasing strength.
Even just 5-10 minutes of stretching each day can prove to be beneficial. You can stretch before or after a workout, right after you wake up, or before you go to bed. Additionally, it is helpful to take regular stretching breaks throughout the day. Participating in activities that involve stretching, such as yoga, is another great way to incorporate it into your lifestyle.
Until next time….Change your life, change your legacy!